September 9 - 15, 2012
Once again, ANCOR's National Advocacy Campaign is sponsoring National Direct Support Professional Recognition Week, beginning September 9, 2012. This is a great opportunity for your organization and your entire community to honor the direct support workforce and the tremendous difference they make each day in the lives of millions of Americans with disabilities.
2012 DSP Recognition Week Proclamations
|North Carolina||North Dakota|
Contact Jessica Sadowsky for more information or if you need assistance.
2012 DSP Advocacy Day
Join providers across the country on Wednesday, September 12, in meeting with elected officials about issues important to DSPs.
The National Advocacy Campaign's mission—to enhance the lives of people with disabilities by obtaining the resources to recruit, train and retain a highly qualified and sustainable direct support workforce—is currently threatened by continued cutbacks and economic challenges in states and on the federal level. Use these meetings to emphasize the connection between DSPs, the individuals with disabilities they support and Medicaid.
In-person visits are much more effective than phone calls, so we encourage you to advocate in person. You can visit the district office or your state capitol. Use Capwiz to contact your elected officials and set up a meeting with them or their staff.
Contact Jessica Sadowsky for more information, including talking points.
Free Webinar: A Good Afternoon or a Great Life
On September 17, this free webinar will outline what makes a professional, describe how you can "work with intention," and illustrate how DSPs are often the difference between someone with a disability having a good afternoon--or a great life.
Click here for more information and to register.
Ways to Celebrate
Here are some ideas for celebrating DSP Week:
- Hold a staff appreciation lunch or barbeque
- Give a gift, such as a gift card, hat, or t-shirt
- Hold an ice cream social
- Provide "thank you" cakes
- Host a car wash for the DSPs put on by administrators
- Host a family night where you play board games and watch movies together
- Create a family photo album for the DSP
- Host a walk, run, roll event
- Participate in “2012 DSP Call Congress Day” (Wednesday, September 12)
- Adorn your state capitol with yellow flags
- Hold a food drive, asking for families to bring cans of food to any social event held
- Create and distribute a DSP Week flyer/press release to raise awareness
- Invite elected officials to your organization's homes
Click here to see what organizations did last year.