September 12 - 18, 2010
To honor the direct support workforce and the tremendous difference they make each day in the lives of millions of Americans with disabilities, ANCOR, through its National Advocacy Campaign, proudly sponsored National Direct Support Professional Recognition Week.
- U.S. Senate Declares National Direct Support Professionals Recognition Week
- Joint news release from DOL and HHS recognizes National DSP Recognition Week
State Governors Recognize DSP Week
To honor the direct support workforce, several state governors issued proclamations designating the week of September 12, 2010 as Direct Support Professional Recognition Week in their states!
The following states celebrated DSP Week!
How Did ANCOR Members Celebrate DSP Week? Take A Look!
Yellow flags waved in the breeze with messages of thanks to DSPs. A very special edible “thanks” delivered by a mom was enjoyed by everyone.
The Arc of Atlantic County
Champaign Residential Services, Inc.
- Vince Volmer and Donna Yeoman, both DSPs
- Jan Bolin (President/CEO) and Judy Wilson (DSP)
- Toni Abram
Exceptional Persons, Inc.
- DSP Week flyer raises awareness
- (L to R) Lynette Miller, Program Manager; Barb Edsill, Iowa DSP of the Year; Bonnie Kipper, Program Director
- (L to R) Celebrants Lynette Miller, Program Manager; Barb Edsill, Iowa DSP of the Year; Chris Sparks, Executive Director
- A special cake for DSPs at staff gathering
John F. Murphy Homes
John F. Murphy Homes adminstrators wash cars and cook up barbecue dinner for their DSPs during National DSP Recognition Week.
Staff and residents enjoy a DSP Week picnic.
New Avenues to Independence
DSP Week is party time at New Avenues
New Hampshire Developmental Disabilities Council
New Hampshire's Yellow Flag Campaign displayed 1,200+ flags at the State Capitol on September 17th. Visitors from NH as well as out of state touring the Capital were moved by these visual stories. NH DSPs took the opportunity to educate the public about their amazing career and let them know there were DSPs in their states, too. Visitors were encouraged to seek out agencies back home to learn more.
Pathfinder Community Supports
Members from our Senior staff served refreshments and all of our Direct Support Professionals signed up for a free t-shirt for Pathfinder Community Supports with the Pathfinder DSP slogan of "Accepting Challenges and Changing Lives" which was created by one of our DSP's through a contest last year on what is a direct support professional.
Rainbow of Challenges
This festive DSP Week celebration included a Mayoral Proclamation and a reception replete with food, prizes and lots of thanks to their DSPs.